Hot out-of-the-oven peanut butter cookies are worth standing in front of the oven watching them bake. Peanut butter cookies made with whole wheat pastry flour and no white sugar are worth making sure you are the first one to take them out of the oven. Notice the change of using sucanat instead of white sugar (if you don’t have sucanat, you can replace with white sugar though.) The sucanat gives the cookies a little bit of a molasses taste. The agave syrup also gives the cookies a little bit more sweetness without having white sugar. The oatmeal is nice because it helps the cookies maintain their shape and not become too moist. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 cup sucanat
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup agave syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- egg replacer equal to 2 eggs (click here for more info)
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup oatmeal
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat together applesauce, margarine, sucanat, peanut butter and “eggs” until sugar is dissolved. Gently mix in vanilla and agave syrup.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl until mixed well. Then add to wet ingredients.
- Mix in oatmeal until just combined. If the batter is too wet, add more oatmeal.
- Drop tablespoonfuls using cookie dough scoop onto ungreased cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until light brown.