If you’re an avid car traveler or truck driver or just planning your next vacation trip, you know that having access to hot water on the road can be a lifesaver.
But, if you’re like me, you probably don’t lug a giant pot full of water and a gas stove along with you when you travel.
So, what’s the solution? A car water boiler!
In this blog post, we’re going to take a look at some of the best 12V car kettles and car water boilers. Keep reading to learn more!
- What Are We Talking About?
- 12 Volt Water Boiler Comparison Table
- Best 12V Kettle For Car
- 12V Kettle Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Are We Talking About?
All around the world, people travel from place to place for business or personal needs. During traveling, they need a refreshment to keep their mind focused on the journey. Many favor a cup of coffee, tea, oats or etc.
If there is a kid traveling, then baby food like milk, cornflakes or chocolates needs to keep at hand. Now, it is not possible to carry a stove during the journey. Thus, a portable 12V car kettle with an efficient form factor and lightweight is a dream come true.
A cigarette lighter socket will provide power for the 12V kettles reviewed in this article. These best car kettle manufacturers designed them in a way that they are safe. Travelers do not have to worry about the hazardous effects of using a kettle during their journey.
The 12 volt kettles are affordable and flexible to use. In this article, I am talking about camping kettles you can use to heat water in your car, truck, or RV.
This type of kettle has several different names:
- 12 Volt water boiler
- 12V electric kettle
- 12V camping kettle
- 12V water heater
- 12V travel kettle
- portable water boiler
- car travel kettle
- car kettle boiler
- 12 volt car kettle
- electric kettle for car
- 12 volt water boiler
- and few more
Don’t let words travel and camping confuse you – it is the same car kettle that uses 12 (sometimes also 24) volts.
Related reading: Breville BTM800XL Tea Maker Review
12 Volt Water Boiler Comparison Table
If you are in a hurry, here is a quick comparison table of the best electric kettles reviewed below.
From my research of these products, I selected these five cheap and versatile models. I will also be discussing the durability of these appliances.
|FDIT Portable Car / Truck Kettle||
||Check Current Price|
|Road Pro 5027S||
||Check Current Price|
|Gulrear 12V Car Kettle Boiler 280ml Portable Heated Travel Water Boiler For Car||
|Check Current Price|
Best 12V Kettle For Car
Now lets take a look at the selected 12 volt car kettles one by one.
FDIT Portable Car / Truck Kettle (Versatile)
The Fdit Car Kettle is an extremely light and portable travel water heater kettle for your car, which can heat up to 1000 ml of liquid. This kettle works with both 12v and 24v, so it is a great choice if you are looking for the best trucker’s kettle. It can heat 1000 ml of liquid in 25 minutes.
This 12 volt hot water kettle can be used in cars, trucks, buses, RVs, and other vehicles. Make your journey more enjoyable by taking advantage of its versatile dual-voltage hot pot.
The kettle powers off automatically when the liquid inside reaches boiling temperature. The kettle’s safety protection feature switches it off and prevents it from overheating and melting if all water has evaporated and the kettle is empty.
This water heater for cars is powered by a 12-volt cigarette lighter socket, like all kettles of this type.
The Fdit kettle is made from non-toxic materials, 304 stainless steel, and food-grade plastic. These materials ensure durability and health safety.
The 12V car water boiler is convenient for those who often need to go on long journeys. This appliance can easily be used for up to 3-4 years since it has been manufactured from quality materials.
- Functions – cigarette lighter water heater
- Voltage – dual voltage 12V and 24V
- Cup capacity – 1000 ml
- Power – 150W @ 12V / 250W @ 24V
- Heating time – 25 minutes
- 304 steel and food-grade plastic ensure food safety and durability
- It comes with a car cigarette lighter socket plug, built-in fuse, and external power indicator
- Vacuum insulation technology ensures burn prevention
- An efficient charging base ensures the safety and sufficiency of heating
- It preserves heated liquid for an extended time
- Lightweight build
- Dual voltage 12 and 24 volt compatible
- Plain design
- Not compact and space-saving
- It takes a long time to heat the water
Spardar Car Kettle and Insulated Cup
The Spardar Car Cigarette Lighter DC12V Electric Kettle has a very special design. This model promotes efficiency and comfort in multiple ways. The mini electric kettle weighs a bit over 1 pound with a dimension of 10 x 3 x 3 inches.
The Spardar Car Cigarette Lighter charger kettle is available in multiple colors: ash deep gray, azure, rose red, blue, dark black, orange, and grey. I have found the grey one to be more adaptable to the car interior.
The heating insulation cup has been built with dual-layer stainless steel. It takes less than 20 minutes to heat 320ml of water in default 120W mode.
The digital temperature display is a techy addition to the kettle if you ask me. The thick film heating technology accelerates the rate of heating. Did I mention that the heating temperature can be customized?
The water heater has a temperature maintenance mode that keeps the water temperature within 5 degrees of your target temperature.
Moreover, the double-layer vacuum body lessens the cooling rate inside. For safety purposes, this kettle comes in food-grade silicon rubber. The rubber prevents the kettle from slipping off the hand due to high friction.
The capacity of the cup is 348ml, which is great if 3-4 people are using it at a time. But, the cap of the 12-volt kettle has been found to be incapable of venting steam.
As its name says, the kettle uses 12V DC. You can choose 80W or 120W mode depending on your car wiring. The default power setting is 120W, but if you are not in a hurry, switching to 80W will let you save a bit of power.
This portable 12 volt water kettle is suitable for preparing tea or coffee, making instant noodles, and heating milk. It is a convenient gadget for school car trips and camping trips.
Uniox 12V Kettle Specifications
- Functions – portable car water heater and insulation cup
- Voltage – 12V
- Cup capacity – 348 ml
- Power – 120W
- Heating time to boiling – 16-20 minutes
- Works with 80W and 120W lighter sockets
- 2-layer grade 304 stainless steel and food grade silicon rubber provides safety
- Digitally displayed and customizable temperature
- Error code display makes troubleshooting easy
- Thick film heating technology prevents cooling of heated liquid
- Portable and convenient for traveling
- Cap fails to vent steam properly, so get into the habit of opening the cap slowly
- It needs a charger adapter as large as the jar itself.
Road Pro 5027S
The Road Pro 5027S is a 12 volt kettle you can use to boil water in the car during your journey. The 12V tea kettle for car is slim and features a space-saving design.
However, the quantity of liquid the electric water pot can hold (20 ounces) might not be sufficient for multiple campers.
The 12 volt car water heater has to be plugged directly into the socket to get the power on. This is a feature found in all other travel water boilers (like FDIT portable car 12V water boiler and Uniox portable kettle).
When the water boiler reaches the desired temperature, it turns off automatically. The Road Pro travel kettle takes up to 45 minutes to boil water. Though the design is not fancy, it is useful. But, the not-so-tight lid may prove to be an annoying factor for many users.
I have been in much of a dilemma on whether to give a positive or a negative review of this model. Although it is not the best water boiler out there, it is able to serve the main purpose behind buying it for a reasonable amount of money.
To conclude, you will get what you are paying for. Do not expect this kettle to serve for years, and you will not be disappointed.
- Functions – travel water boiler
- Voltage – 12 volts
- Cup capacity – 590 ml (20 oz)
- Power – 100W
- Heating time to boil – 25-30 minutes promised by the manufacturer, 40-45 minutes in real life
- Lightweight space-saving design
- Automatic shut-off feature when the desired temperature is reached
- It is one of the most affordable 12-volt car hot water makers
- The lid is not air-tight, so the liquid inside does not remain hot for a long time
- It takes a long time to boil the water
- Bad design of the spout
EAST MOUNT Electric Water Heater Travel Mug
The EAST MOUNT Electric Water Heater Travel Mug is a smart temperature control travel mug.
How does the smart thing work? The smart thermos in the mug can be set from 86°F to 194°F. The liquid in the mug will remain at the same temperature that you set. You won’t need to heat the liquid again. The cup can hold any kind of liquid, starting from coffee, milk, and tea to meals like instant noodles.
With this mug, you can travel anywhere without worrying about where to heat them.
The car smart mug is built using medical grade 304 stainless steel and Tritan material used in high-end baby bottles.
According to users, it takes up to 50 minutes to heat the water to 194°F, which is an acceptable temperature for instant coffee. If your drink does not require almost boiling temperature, you can use mug buttons to set the temperature accordingly.
The inner cup It can be taken out from the heater for washing. This way the electrical components don’t get in contact with water, which makes it safer to use.
The coffee mug has an anti-slip rubber bottom, which offers good stability and removes the risk of its slipping.
- Water heater and thermos
- Voltage – 12 volts
- Cup capacity – 13 oz (400 ml)
- Power – 60 Watts
- Heating time to boil – no data
- Heating time to 194 – 50 minutes (user data)
- Variable temperature
- LCD display
- It has a memory function and temperature control
- Made with safe blood frame materials
- It fits in the car drink holder
- Thermos function
- Small 13 oz capacity
- The flip-top is not rigid
- Low power unit takes a long time to heat the water
- Can not reach boiling temperature
Yarrkc 12V 750ml Stainless Steel Car Electric Heating Mug
The Yarrkc 12V 750ml Stainless Steel Car Electric Heating Mug is made with stainless steel and food-grade PP material. The cup is made with a high-quality safety silicon seal that keeps the water warm and ensures the liquid does not spill.
The water heater is extremely easy to use and can be used to boil water to prepare coffee, tea, or any other hot beverage.
This heating mug takes about 30 minutes to heat the 750 mililiters of water to boiling temperature. When the water is boiling, the indicator turns green from red.
The cup doesn’t need resetting, it automatically starts working when the temperature hits less than 90 degrees. It’s designed ergonomically to fit the cup holders in most cars.
It is important to consider that the cup only works with 12V 120W cigarette lighter. It won’t work with the 75W. Make sure your car has the 120 Watt system and put in the plug completely to avoid blowing a fuse or damaging the water heater or your car.
- Water heater and thermos
- Voltage – 12 volts
- Cup capacity – 25 oz (750 ml)
- Power – 120 Watts
- Heating time to boil – 30-40 minutes
- Maximum temperature – boiling temperature
- Built with high-quality material
- It fits in most vehicles’ cup holders
- Ergonomic design
- Not the quickest water heater we reviewed
- Compatible only with 120 Watt cigarette lighter connection
Gulrear Intelligent Car Electric Kettle
The Gulrear Intelligent Car Electric Kettle is one of the best travel mugs out there. It is designed with a double-layer structure. The double layer ensures the water remains warm. The inside of the kettle is made with silicon boron glass.
Also, the outer layer of the kettle is insulated and anti-collision. They make sure the body does not get ruined from scalding. There is an intelligent heater system. The car kettle has insulation functions and boiling functions. You can adjust the temperature on the display screen and buttons.
The cup uses an advanced crystal heater with Ultra-high heating efficiency, and they make sure to minimize the heat dissipation rate and make sure the energy is saved.
The kettle has an efficient charging system which can be generated by a cigarette lighter charger base. The kettle comes with a standard 12V power supply plug. They guarantee sufficient boiling and safety as the microcomputer intelligent control system keeps the liquid warm and boiled precisely and separately.
It also allows the thermal temperature to change freely. The kettle can be installed in any stable location, or you can just hang it. This feature saves a lot of space.
The capacity of the portable water boiler cup is 280ML. The rated power and voltage of the cup are 75W and 12V. The electric kettle cup comes with a charger base, a car holder, 8 stent hooks, and a fuse. It will allow you a hassle-free trip anywhere.
- The car heating cup is portable.
- Made with safe material
- Gets full protection from dry heating, overvoltage, and overcurrent.
- The cup size is a bit small
- Some complaints about the fuse blowing up because of the cup
12V Kettle Buying Guide
The features people expect from a portable traveling 12V camping kettle are flexibility, light-weight, lower power consumption, tight lid, quantity, safety, durability, and wide using capability. From my research on these appliances, I can tell you what to expect and what not to from these products.
Kettle vs. Cup
The Uniox kettle is made from stainless steel and food-grade plastic. The insulation formulated cup prevents the water from getting cold easily. The kettle can be used to enjoy the prepared food without having to serve it on any other plate. It is small in size and very convenient to use for any kind of trips and journeys.
The FDIT portable 12V kettle and the Roadpro 5072S come in kettle style. The kettles are convenient to use, though they are more space-consuming and heavy in weight. However, the kettles are cheaper than the cup style car water boilers. The food-grade elements used in these kettles are also of high pedigree.
Some travel water boilers perform on dual voltages. In many cases, it is seen that car water heaters need a variable of voltages to work on. The power supply of vehicles varies from one vehicle type to another. The FDIX car travel kettle works with both 12-volt passenger car and 24-volt truck electrical systems. This kettle can be used in both cars and trucks.
If one is looking to buy the portable small electric kettle you can use in a car and truck, only then, the dual voltage device is feasible. It is to be noted that the option of 12 volt car tea kettle is much more applicable for car users.
The capacity of the 12V water kettle depends on the use of the customers. Generally, the demand is for medium capacity kettles of 300-500 ml. The kettle with more capacity consumes more space and is also of more weight. Customers usually prefer light-weight and portable appliances.
The Uniox car hot pot is light in weight and consumes less space. If the customer size is of 5 or 6 members then they do need a high capacity kettle to prepare more food at the same time. On the other hand, if the customer size is of 2 or 3 members then a medium or small capacity kettle is enough and convenient for them. The low capacity kettle needs less time to boil the liquid inside.
The best 12v car water boiler models mentioned in this review come from Uniox, FDIT, and Road Pro. What to do to maintain the unit properly and what not to do to prevent destruction are discussed below.
- Always unplug the base first, then let the kettle cool down and remove the remaining liquid from the kettle; then, get it clean to avoid any kind of electric shocks.
- Soap water should be used to clean the inner part of the travel kettle
- The electric 12 volt kettle for car should not be immersed in water completely
- A sponge or damp cloth should be used to clean the outer area of the kettle
- To avoid accidents, the kettle should be operated on a flat surface
- Keep leather items away to avoid steam damage
- Children should be kept away from the kettle
- When the kettle is heating up but not boiling, you should use lime to descale mineral deposits.
- If you have a propane stove in your RV, consider making a stop and using the stove to boil the water. Get a thinner aluminum pot with tight-fitting lid, and have boiling water within 2 minutes.
- If you plan to use your kettle regularly, you should upgrade the standard cigarette lighter receptacle to a quality marine one, like Blue Seas, and upgrade the wiring to it from the battery with at least 12awg, preferable 10awg.
- We should not use abrasive soaps or cleansers
- Don’t open the lid of the kettle without powering off the kettle
- Don’t keep the mouth of the kettle open for a long time
- Don’t let any liquid stay inside the kettle for a long time
- Do not use battery power to heat water. Keep the engine or generator running.
Frequently Asked Questions
I heard about the battery-operated water kettle. Is it a thing?
No, there are no battery powered water kettles. It is very inefficient to power the 12 volt portable hot water maker from the battery. Even the truck or RV battery can be drained if you try to boil the water when the engine is not running.
Related reading: Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Stainless Steel Griddler Reviews
In conclusion, the Spardar 12v kettle is the most satisfying portable 12v water heater for cars. Because of the set of features and safe food grade materials used in the appliance, this kettle is a steal!
On the other hand, the FDIT 12V water boiler is a great option for 5-6 members traveling together. The car electric kettle has larger capacity, but it also takes more space in your car. The food-grade plastic is appreciable and the stainless steel used ensures durability.
In conclusion, I can say that the Spardar Kettle is my top pick out of the reviewed 12v car kettles.