How To Bake An Apple Pie In Toaster Oven – Quick And Easy Recipe With Homemade Crust
Pies are one of the staple dishes that you can find on any occasion or celebration. Though it may be a common sight during parties, special attention is given to cooking.
There is a wide range of choices in pies. You may opt for the traditional recipe, banoffee pie, or unconventional aloo pie (the favorite choice in Trinidad and Tobago).
You may even make a pie from bacon and egg, best eaten during breakfast. You may choose to have your tart in sweet or savory flavor, depending on your preference and the ingredients you put into it. You can mix the ingredients manually or use a food processor.
Whatever way you may choose to have your dessert, make sure it will taste great so everyone can enjoy and dig into it. Always remember to select the best ingredients to complement your baking.
Styles of Apple Pies
Apple pie, one of the world’s most recognized desserts, is straightforward. Of course, the taste will also depend on the ingredients you use and how fresh they are. How you proceed in baking affects its flavor, as well.
It can be baked in various styles. If you are on the traditional side, you may prefer baking an American-style dessert. For anything else, you can choose between the Dutch style and the Swedish style.
Now, let’s take a look at how this most loved dessert can be made. Remember that the recipe below is just a suggestion for cooking the meal, but should you choose (or even invent or create your own) another method, that would be great too!
Gather these essentials for your pie crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
For the delectable filling, you’ll require:
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled baking apples
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons or 3 pats of butter (or margarine)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- a pinch of chili powder for a daring twist (optional)
Can you bake an apple pie in a toaster oven?
Absolutely, you can bake an apple pie in a toaster oven! Although unconventional, a toaster oven is a versatile kitchen appliance that can handle various baking tasks, including baking apple pies. To achieve the best results, it’s crucial to adapt the recipe and baking method to accommodate the smaller size and different heating elements of a toaster oven. Allow me to share some tips on how to bake a scrumptious apple pie in a toaster oven.
- Choose the right bakeware: Since toaster ovens are more compact than conventional ovens, select a smaller pie dish that fits comfortably inside. An 8-inch pie dish should suffice for most toaster ovens. Alternatively, you can opt for mini pie pans to make individual servings.
- Adjust the recipe: Since you’ll be working with a smaller pie dish, you may need to reduce the recipe’s ingredients accordingly. This may involve some trial and error, but in my experience, reducing the recipe by 25-30% is a good starting point.
- Preheat the toaster oven: It’s essential to preheat your toaster oven to the desired temperature, usually around 425°F (220°C) for apple pies. Keep in mind that toaster ovens may heat up faster than conventional ovens, so keep an eye on the preheating process.
- Prepare the pie: Assemble the pie as you would for a regular oven, paying attention to the crust and apple filling. Since the pie will be smaller, you may need to slice the apples more thinly to ensure they cook evenly.
- Monitor the baking time: The baking time for an apple pie in a toaster oven may differ from that of a conventional oven. Start by setting the timer for the original recipe’s suggested baking time, but check the pie regularly for doneness. The crust should be golden brown, and the filling should be bubbling.
- Adjust the temperature if needed: Toaster ovens may have hotspots or uneven heating, so you might need to rotate the pie halfway through the baking process to ensure even browning. If the crust is browning too quickly, lower the temperature by 25°F (15°C) and cover the pie with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to bake a delightful apple pie in your toaster oven that will undoubtedly impress your friends and family. Happy baking!
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening. Gradually add cold water, one tablespoon at a time, gently mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball. Cover and let it chill for 30 minutes.
- After chilling, roll the dough into a 10-inch circle on a floured surface, such as a large cutting board, to prevent sticking. Carefully transfer the rolled dough into an 8-inch pie dish, pressing it into the bottom and up the sides.
- In a bowl, mix the apples with a splash of lemon juice. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Stir this mixture into the apples and lemon juice. Once combined, pour the filling into the pie crust and dot with butter.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to fit the top of the pie. Trim any excess dough. Gently place the pastry over the filling, sealing and fluting the edges to create a tight seal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and water. Brush this mixture over the top pastry.
- Preheat your toaster oven to 425°F (220°C). Bake the pie for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F (175°C).
- Continue baking for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust turns golden and the filling bubbles. If the crust browns too quickly, cover it with aluminum foil.
- Allow the pie to cool slightly before serving. Share and enjoy your delectable apple pie baked in a toaster oven!
Baking an apple pie in a toaster oven is not only possible but also a delightful alternative to using a conventional oven.
By selecting the right bakeware, adjusting the recipe, and closely monitoring the baking process, you can achieve a scrumptious apple pie that will leave your friends and family craving more. Embrace the versatility of your toaster oven and the convenience it offers in creating delicious homemade treats, like this mouthwatering apple pie.
With practice and a dash of culinary creativity, you’ll master the art of toaster oven baking and expand your repertoire of delectable desserts.
Happy baking, and may your kitchen adventures be filled with sweet success!